Saturday, September 11, 2010

Remembering Today

Nine years ago today I woke up almost two hours early for no reason. I just couldn't sleep and decided to head into work early. My morning ritual of getting ready included listening to AM radio on my alarm clock so I wouldn't wake up my roommate. I remember exactly what I was wearing and where I was standing in my bedroom when the radio host announced that there had been a plane crashing into one of the towers just a minute ago. I remember running to my car to turn on the radio in there and on my drive to work listening to the events unfold. I remember the announcement of the tower falling as I had pulled up to the stoplight after my freeway exit. I remember going into work and just sitting in front of the computer not knowing what to do or think. A few hours later we were all sent home and I honestly don't remember the rest of the week until it was a Friday night and us Americans were asked to hold candlelight vigils. I didn't know anyone who perished that day but when CNN.com published the victims' pictures with their names and ages on the one year anniversary of 9-1, I cried for two hours straight when I saw a picture of a young woman the same age as me. I cried for her parents who would never see her get married. I cried for her life partner who thought they would spend the next 70 years with her, and I cried for her unborn children who would never feel the touch of their loving mother. Today I still cry a little as I picture her face on my computer screen and there are tears for all of the rest. I still own the dress I was wearing the day the attacks took place and I cleaned out my closet last week and even though it's not exactly in style anymore, I can't bear to get rid of it. We're going to dinner tonight and I think I'll put it on and have a good time. I'm sure that's what the girl on the computer would've wanted, for us to laugh and live our lives in the present while having hopes and dreams of tomorrow. You will never be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment