Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon TattooYou know the old saying "don't judge a book by its cover"? Well I did and I learned my lesson. I started a Book Club and today will be our first meetup and I'm actually looking forward to discussing The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. I say this with surprise in my tone because we did a poll to determine the first pick and of the five choices, this came in last for me. I really thought it was going to be a paperback book you pick up in the airport bookstore and you start and finish on a direct flight.I was completely wrong and besides the plot being captivating, there were serious social issues touched upon which creates lots of interesting questions for book club discussions. I won't go into detail of the book but overall it's a collective mystery and love story made up of several mysteries and love stories. It's intellectual and makes you ask yourself questions you may have never asked. It evokes empathy for people you may not ever think about twice in your ordinary life. It's funny in some parts, sad in others, and just very clever. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is the first of a trilogy and I'm looking forward to reading the next two books in the Millennium Trilogy and also to the conversation the five of us will have this afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you liked it. I saw Costco had the audio version. I may still add it to my queue.

    ReplyDelete