Thursday, September 2, 2010

At Least We Got Our Anti-Oxidants

Farmer's Market Foods Organic Canned Pumpkin, 15-Ounce Cans (Pack of 12)The Great Pantry Experiment kicked off today with some canned pumpkin. It is September now and the thought of pumpkin for dinner sounds good but in reality it's not when it's 82 degrees outside. Oh well. I made this recipe up from my own little head and it turned out pretty okay but I would only make it again if a) I had a lot of canned pumpkin to get rid of or b) I had a real recipe to use. I think it was the whole wheat pasta that turned me off because the sauce was pretty tasty. I sauteed up some white onion and garlic, poured in a can of pumpkin and about a half a cup of half and half since we didn't have any cream. Next I threw in some pinches of salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cinnamon and tossed the sauce with the pasta. Final touches included a few handfuls of grated parmesan cheese and tossed it around one more time to get the cheese to melt. I truly meant to serve a side of green salad with a vinaigrette but the crying baby prevented that one. I'll double up on the greens tomorrow.
Tasty Score 6.5   Healthy Score 8.5 (the healthy score is subjective and based on years of reading labels)

No comments:

Post a Comment