Tuesday, August 17, 2010
So the end of summer is coming which means our garden is starting to run a little bare with the exception of the cherry tomatoes and zucchinis. We're a little "zuked" out since one family can only take so much grilled zucchini, zucchini bread, frittatas and baked zucchini spears. Even Nana's famous zucchini casserole is getting old. I was in the mood for a little something sweet and wanted to put the zukes to good use and I found a recipe on MarthaStewart.com for Sweet Zucchini Cupcakes. I haven't tried it yet but once this tiny heat wave breaks I'm going to give them a shot. I usually make something before sharing it with you all but I'm feeling a little lazy today and would rather write than bake. Plus if you have any other ideas on how to use up the last of these zucchinis please do share as the family is getting tired of all of my recipes.
* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
* 1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
* 1 zucchini (10 ounces), coarsely grated (1 1/2 cups)
* 1/3 cup vegetable oil
* 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
* 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
* Cream Cheese Frosting
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cups of a standard (12-cup) muffin tin with paper or foil liners. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix in nuts.
3. In another bowl, combine zucchini, oil, eggs, and vanilla; add to flour mixture, and mix just until combined (do not overmix).
4. Divide batter evenly among cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.
5. Cool in tin on a wire rack for 10 minutes; turn cupcakes out, right side up, and cool completely. Meanwhile, make frosting. Using an offset spatula or butter knife, spread frosting on cupcakes. The frosted cupcakes are best eaten within 1 day.
Read more at Marthastewart.com: Sweet Zucchini Cupcakes and more delicious recipes, smart cooking tips, and video demonstrations on marthastewart.com