Thursday, May 6, 2010

Dear Mother Earth, I Have a Confession


Dear Mother Earth,

I have a dirty secret and hope you won't be mad at me. You know my mother taught me to respect you and I in turn am teaching my son to do the same. I recycle newspaper, milk cartons, and even the Pennysaver that comes in the mail once a week. I never leave the house without my reusable bags when going to the store and not just because I get a nickel back for every one I use. I only run the washing machine and dishwasher when you can't squeeze a single more thing in there. I carpool when possible and walk to places when it's feasible. I turn off the lights when I leave the room and use energy saving bulbs even though they make my skin look really green in the bathroom. I use scraps to compost then use the soil in my veggie garden. I use cloth diapers when I can and will bear the smell to know I am sparing a piece of your land from being covered in my baby's stinky mess. But Mother Earth, I have to confess. I use drop-in disposable bottles for my little boy. Yes, my baby does love these plastic, landfill loving bottles and his tummy seems to be happy with them too but I must admit it's me who loves them more and I'm truly sorry. They spare from having to wash the fifty parts that some bottles have and I know it seems like I'm being lazy but I promise I'm not. Discovering these have been a dream come true. No more clutter of various bottle attachments, no more chapped hands from washing those umpteen pieces, no more chasing down all of those parts while he's crying for food. A little piece of sanity has been regained for this new mommy after finding out these disposable bottles exist. I know this is not the green thing to do and I hope you will forgive me for this environmentally unfriendly practice but I know you'll understand for you are a mother too.

No comments:

Post a Comment