Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Still Got Eggs?
It's been a few days since we had the Easter egg hunts and pondered what to do with all of those hard boiled eggs. If you're looking for a spin on the deviled egg, try this recipe for Hummus Deviled Eggs from Sunset Magazine. I made these last year for my sister's wedding shower and they were a huge hit. Regular hummus is good but garlic hummus is even better. Or try the recipe for Red Pepper Hummus I wrote about last month. Let me know if you come up with any variations on this recipe that turn out yummy.
Hummus Deviled Eggs
* 6 eggs
* 1/3 cup hummus
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for garnish
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared (not creamy) horseradish
1. Put eggs in a medium pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, remove pot from heat, and let sit 14 minutes. Fill a large bowl with ice water. With a slotted spoon, transfer eggs to ice water bath (reserve hot water in pot).
2. Cool eggs at least 10 minutes, then use a slotted spoon to transfer eggs back to hot water (to loosen shells) for 10 to 20 seconds. Pat dry and peel.
3. Cut eggs in half lengthwise. Scoop out egg yolks and put them in a medium bowl. Add hummus, olive oil, pepper, salt, and horseradish. Mash mixture together with a fork. Spoon filling into egg white halves, dividing evenly. Sprinkle with black pepper.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per egg half.
72 (71% from fat)
5.7g (sat 1.2)