Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Julie and Julia? I Promise Not To Be

In my post yesterday I said I was going to share the results of the Great Pantry Experiment with you but I don't want to turn this into another version of Julie and Julia where I describe what I made in detail. Instead I'll give you the cliff notes version and what shortcuts I took to make sure I was using ingredients we already had and anything to cut down on the prep time. Last night, was a roasted chicken. 5 minutes to prepare, throw it in the oven, quick temp change during cooking time, and you're done. Mix together olive oil, chopped garlic (about 4 cloves), salt, and pepper then rub under the skin of the breast. Throw the chicken in a roasting pan and shove it in the oven for 40 minutes at 375 then bump it to 400 for 20 minutes. This is for a 3 poundish chicken so adjust cooking time for anything bigger or smaller and I think once the chicken has reached 165 it's done roasting. I cut down on garlic chopping time by using frozen garlic cubes from Trader Joe's. One cube equals one clove. Just defrost for 10 seconds in the microwave and the garlic still has a yummy potency that isn't lost in the freezing process. I had some carrots on their last legs so I tossed them in the bottom of the roasting pan and poured in some $2 Chuck white wine and voila, we had veggies for our protein. Okay, so I guess it's chicken salad sandwiches for dinner tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment