Monday, August 23, 2010

Cauliflower Never Tasted So Good

Every time cauliflower is on sale at the grocery store I buy a head because it's inexpensive and it's loaded with Vitamin C (one serving of a 1/2 cup of the cooked veggie will give you 45% of your daily recommended value). I always have the best intentions to cook it as a side for dinner but end up tossing it because it's turned brown in the fridge. This time I vowed not to let it happen and in the end my husband said the cauliflower was better than mashed potatoes, and we LOVE mashed potatoes in this house. I found the recipe for Brown Butter Cauliflower Mash from Southern Living on MyRecipes.com and it was really easy to make and took me about 12 minutes total including the cooking time. To lighten it up I used low fat sour cream instead of regular and I didn't put any butter in it, so I guess I really just made Cauliflower Mash. We also didn't have any chives on hand but it didn't taste like it was missing anything. I served it with Burgers with Sauteed Mushrooms and Onions and next time I'll make it as a side dish for BBQ Meatloaf. Big hit in this family and we'll definitely be making it again. Side note, I used my food processor to make it so it was done pretty quick but if you don't have one, just chop up the cauliflower really well before steaming and use a potato masher.


Brown Butter Cauliflower Mash


Prep: 15 min., Cook: 15 min.

This recipe goes with Brown Butter Cauliflower Soup

Yield: Makes about 6 servings (3 1/2 cups)
Ingredients

* 1 head medium cauliflower (about 2 lb.), chopped*
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
* 2 tablespoons butter
* Garnish: fresh chives

Preparation

1. Fill a large Dutch oven with water to depth of 1/4 inch. Arrange cauliflower in Dutch oven. Cook, covered, over medium-high heat 7 to 10 minutes or until tender. Drain.

2. Process cauliflower, sour cream, salt, and pepper in a food processor 30 seconds to 1 minute or until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Stir in Parmesan cheese and chives. Place in a bowl.

3. If desired, microwave mixture at HIGH 1 to 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring at 1-minute intervals.

4. Cook butter in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, 4 to 5 minutes or until butter begins to turn golden brown. Remove from heat, and immediately drizzle butter over cauliflower mixture. Garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment