Sunday, June 27, 2010
Easiest Dessert Ever!
I love to throw small dinner parties but I'm not much of a baker so when it comes to dessert I only have two or three recipes I make and the one everyone asks for again and again is Panna Cotta. The best part, it's the easiest thing to make! It's an Italian custard made of just a few ingredients and basically you just mix, heat, pour, and refrigerate. To make a sauce for on top, grab a jar of Nuttella melt it down and mix with some heavy cream or half and half and there you go. Since it's summer just a couple of berries is a perfect topping. The recipe I use is one I found on Allrecipes.com and you can adjust it by inputting the number of desserts you need. Here is a recipe for 6:
* 1/3 cup skim milk
* 1 (.25 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
* 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Pour milk into a small bowl, and stir in the gelatin powder. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan, stir together the heavy cream and sugar, and set over medium heat. Bring to a full boil, watching carefully, as the cream will quickly rise to the top of the pan. Pour the gelatin and milk into the cream, stirring until completely dissolved. Cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla and pour into six individual ramekin dishes.
3. Cool the ramekins uncovered at room temperature. When cool, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight before serving.